You found out that you may be needing a dental crown. You are not alone! Many (if not most) people in America have at least one crown.
What is that exactly? A dental crown is a tooth-shaped cap that covers a tooth to restore the shape, size, stability, and appearance. It is a secure, long-term way to enhance the look and structure of your smile.
So, why do we use these?
Here are some situations in which you may need a dental crown:
• Restore a tooth that is broken or worn down
• Protect a tooth that is weak (decay, erosion…)
• Support a dental bridge
• Cover a dental implant
• Protect a root canal
• Cosmetic enhancement (cover tooth that is misshapen or discolored)
When you do need a crown, here are the steps that we will take you through:
• Preparing the tooth for the crown by removing the outer portion and any decay that may be present.
• Making an impression of the tooth to ensure a secure fit for the crown.
• Placing a temporary crown on the tooth while the permanent one is being made.
• Using the impression model to create your permanent crown.
• Cementing your crown in place and ensuring that fit is comfortable and the appearance is natural.
Crowns can be made out of a variety of materials: metal alloys, ceramics, porcelain, composite resin, or a combination. We will work to make sure that the crown not only matches the surrounding teeth but also feels comfortable in the mouth. On average, each crown will last anywhere from 5 to 15 years.
Lucky for you, a dental crown does not necessarily need special at-home treatment. Simply continue with your good oral hygiene practices – brushing, flossing and mouthwash daily – and make sure that the gums surrounding the crown are clean.
Just remember that crowns are not indestructible! Be mindful of what you put in your mouth and try to steer clear of hard food or objects.
Read more about Crowns and Bridges on our practice website http://www.aristoshyndmd.com/crowns-bridges/
As always, we are available to answer your questions. Just give us a call at (770) 448-1977, we are happy to help!